A Five-Minute Guide to European Roulette Online
Important Notice: This is not our latest article about the promotions at this online Casino. You might no longer be able to claim this offer. To know what bonuses are available right now, have a look at our Casino bonus page.
The game of European Roulette:
- Has a very low house edge
- Offer you a wide range of bets
- It's easy to play, even if you are a beginner
Find everything you need to know about European Roulette and unlock access to the best games online.
You can play everything for free and use the bonuses to get more chances to win money on European Roulette online.
What is European Roulette?
The game of European Roulette is one of the most popular and exciting varieties of Roulette in both brick-and-mortar and online Casinos.
It is one of the most frequently played Casino games in the world with origins that can be traced back to the 17th century France, which comes as no surprise since Roulette in French means 'little wheel', and a wheel is its central part.
The layout of the game is pretty simple and faithful to traditional Roulette.
The European Roulette is composed of a Roulette wheel with 37 numbered pockets alternatively coloured in black and red, and a single green zero pocket.
Check out the best games of European Roulette online.
Choose a live dealer or go big at the VIP table - a bonus awaits!
Unlike the American Roulette where there are 2 zero pockets, the European Roulette has only one zero pocket.
After the players place their bets, the dealer throws a ball in the spinning Roulette wheel
The European Roulette is considered to be one of the most generous Roulette variants thanks to its high RTP that reaches 97.3% and caps the house edge at 2.7%.
This makes the European Roulette second only to its French counterpart, but much better than what you get from its American cousin.
Basic Rules of European Roulette
You don't need more than five minutes to learn how to play European Roulette.
Every game involves anywhere between 1 and 8 players who need to place their bets before the whole spinning frenzy initiates.
When you play online (unless you play a Live Dealer game), you might be asked to be your own dealer and hit the 'Spin' button, to begin a game.
In a land-based Casino, the croupier will call for the bets to be placed and indicate when no more bets will be accepted.
This usually occurs when the ball has made about two full rounds on the wheel. Notice that the ball and the Roulette wheel spin in opposite directions.
Once the ball loses its momentum and stops bouncing around the wheel, it settles in one of the 37 numbered pockets on the wheel.
That's when the dealer declares the winners and the winning bets get paid.
Betting Options in European Roulette
Another thing that contributes to the popularity of European Roulette is the vast number of betting options the game offers.
The bets in European Roulette are divided into two sections:
- Inside Bets
- Outside Bets
The inside bets refer to bets on a single number, groups of numbers, and adjacent numbers.
The outside bets include bets on larger groups of numbers such as Odds / Even or Black / Red
The payouts and odds differ significantly according to the type of bet you have chosen, as you will learn in the next paragraphs.
As far as inside bets are concerned, you can opt for the following:
- Straight Up Bet: Straight Up Bet is a bet placed directly on a single number
- Street Bet: This type of bet includes betting on three numbers from a particular row. You bet on a street bet by placing the chips on the line at the end of the row
- Split Bet: Split Bet features betting on two adjacent numbers with putting the chips on the border between those numbers
- Corner Bet: With the Corner Bet, you can bet on four numbers by placing the chips on the line that all those four numbers touch
- Six Line Bet: This type of bet features six numbers divided into two 'streets'. You set the chips on the intersection where the edges of the two rows meet.
The outside bets include groups of numbers and offer increased chances of a win, but at a cost.
The payouts for outside bets are lower than the inside ones.
- Column Bet: Column Bet includes an entire column, and the chips are placed on the ”2-1” box at the end of the column of your choice
[+]Dozen Bet: As its name suggests, this bet lets you bet on a group of 12 numbers, where you can choose the first (1-12), second (13-24), and third (25-36) group
- Colour Bets: Colour Bets are quite simple and let you bet if the ball is going to land on a red or black coloured pocket on the wheel
- Odd/Even Bets: These bets are placed on the winning number to be either odd or even, regardless of the colour
- High/Low Bet: These bets let you choose if the outcome is a low number from 1 to 18 or a high one from 19 to 36.
Payouts and House Edge in European Roulette
The payouts are one of the essential characteristics in a Casino game, and European Roulette has payouts to compete with the best of them.
Each of the inside and outside bets has specific payout ratios.
The biggest payout comes from the Straight Up bet, where the payout is 35 to 1.
Other inside bets are also quite lucrative and are superior to the outside bets.
The outside bets, like Dozen and Column bets, come with a 2 to 1 payout, whereas the bets on colour, high/low, and bets on odds / evens come with a 1 to 1 payout.
There is also a special rule related to the zero number on the wheel. This rule is known as the 'en prison' rule.
If the player places an outside bet and the winning number is zero, the player will either receive 50% of the bet or the entire stake will become locked/imprisoned.
If that bet turns out to be the winner on the next spin, it will be released, and the player can recover it.
Disclaimer: Gambling is a game of chance and there's no sure-fire formula that guarantee winnings. You can improve your winning chances by using the right in-game strategies but there is no way to predict when a machine or a Casino game is going to pay. Also, this page contains affiliate links. If you click through and play, we might earn a commission. That’s what allow us to keep CasinoSmash free and bring you the best online Casino bonuses!