What is Casino War: Rules, Strategy, and Tips
Although Casino War is probably not the smartest game you can play at a Casino, its simplicity and resemblance to other popular card games are what usually convince everyone to sit at the table and play a game or two.
If you don't know what Casino War is or you want to find out how to play Casino War the right way, keep reading this article. You are going to find answers to all of your questions.
However, if you don't know anything about this Casino game and need a detailed rundown of the rules, you can visit the page where I tell you how to play Casino War step-by-step.
What is Casino War?
Casino War is possibly the easiest card game you can find at a Casino.
In a game of Casino War, six decks of cards are used. The dealer deals one card (face up) to all the players in the game and themselves.
Once all the cards have been dealt, you have three scenarios:
- Your card is higher than the dealer's one: you win.
- Your card is lower than the dealer's one: you lose.
- Your card matches the dealer's card: tie - the fun begins.
In the event of a tie, you can choose to surrender or to go to war.
The first option allows you to leave the game at the cost of half your original (Ante) bet.
The 'war declaration' offers you the chance to stay in play. As long as you can bet an equal amount to the original Ante wager, that is.
Once you go to war and place your bet, the dealer burns three cards and deals one card to you (and to all the other players who have decided to go to war) and to themselves.
If your second card is lower than the dealer's second card, the dealer wins and you lose both bets. But if your second card matches or beats the dealer's second card - your original wagers go back to you and you win even money for the war bet.
Casino War: One (Dirty) Trick to Avoid. Experienced players, especially the ones who really like to gamble, know that there's a small Casino War trick that can help them to win (or lose) a lot of money.
Now, although this bet pays 10 to 1 (!!!), my advice is not to go down this road. It gives the Casino an advantage of 18.65 percent.
Casino War: Strategy and Odds
Let’s make one thing clear: if you’re looking for a fast-money-making online Casino game, don't play.
Casino War is in not going to make you rich.
But if you are looking for a fun game to play that doesn't need to you to stay at the table for hours, Casino War is a solid choice.
Now that I’ve explained the basics of the game, let’s talk strategy.
What’s Better: Surrendering or Going To War?
When you go to war, you risk twice your original bet for only a single payoff.
So, naturally, you will ask - is it worth it to go to war?
Sure, you may think that there's no reason to risk your money to win only half of your bet. But it is definitely better to risk two units than to sacrifice one just because you don't feel like gambling.
And, if you don't believe me, let's have a look at some numbers of Casino War odds:
- Casino War strategy that states you should always go to war in case of a tie has a house edge of 2.88%.
- Casino War strategy that states you should always surrender in case of a tie has a house edge of 3.70%.
Because of the betting and payout when you go to war, Casino War house edge may seem a bit high for Blackjack or Baccarat players.
But if you prefer games of chance and enjoy simplicity of the game play, Casino War is a perfect choice.
With all that in mind, still up for playing Casino War games?
You’re in for a treat. But before you start, read five Casino War tips you should always keep in mind.
Casino War Tips
- Never surrender. Every time you decide to quit, the house edge moves from 2.88 to 3.70 percent.
- Always go to war. By doubling your initial bet you force the dealer to deal one more card and bring the house edge from 3.70 to 2.88 percent.
- Never take the side bet. If you want, you can bet on the fact that your first card will match the dealer's one. But remember that while this bet pays 10 to 1 it gives the house an advantage of 18.65 percent. Think twice before you sign up for an edge like that. In any Casino game.
- Really, it's a sucker bet. The house gets a better edge only in games like Sic Bo, Big Six, Keno, and some Slot games. Avoid this sucker bet at all costs.
- Keep an eye on the Aces. The Aces are the highest cards in Casino War which means that once you get an Ace you can only win or tie. If you see that no aces have been dealt for an extended period of time, you can be sure that one will appear shortly on the table.
Where to Play Casino War Online for Real Money
Casino War isn't as popular of a game as Blackjack, Roulette, or Slot machines are. So, you won’t find it at every single land-based or online Casino.
While I can’t advise you which brick-and-mortar Casino to choose, I’ve played at a fair share of online Casinos to know which ones have the best Casino War(s) games.
This Casino offers beginner-proof games at very low stakes. Also, before you dive in with real money, you can sign-up and practice the games completely free. And there is a pretty neat welcome bonus involved if you ask me.
But I don’t want to spoil it too much - visit the best Casino War site and see for yourself.
Important Notice: This is not our latest article about the promotions at this online Casino. You might no longer be able to claim this offer. To know what bonuses are available right now, have a look at our Casino bonus page.
Disclaimer: Gambling is a game of chance and there's no sure-fire formula that guarantee winnings. You can improve your winning chances by using the right in-game strategies but there is no way to predict when a machine or a Casino game is going to pay. Also, this page contains affiliate links. If you click through and play, we might earn a commission. That’s what allow us to keep CasinoSmash free and bring you the best online Casino bonuses!
Bonus info: Terms and conditions apply to the offer. If something isn't clear, have a look at our review of OrientXpress Casino for the T&Cs in full. The offer on this article might have expired by the time you read it. Please refer to the review pages for the latest bonuses and promotions available.