Sic Bo, also known as tai sai, dai siu, and hi-lo, is a dice game where the dealer rolls three dice and players bet on the possible combinations. It is very popular in Asia, particularly in Macau (dai siu) and the Philippines (hi-lo).
The popularity of Sic Bo, which means “small big” in Mandarin, comes from the wide range of payouts offered. You can play it safe by wagering on even money propositions, or test the odds and try to make a big splash on a 150-1 combination.
After the bets are made, the dealer shakes the three dice and spins them onto the felt – online casinos use virtual graphics to simulate the dice roll. Winning wagers are paid out according to the fixed odds.
Combinations of Bets
- Triple – Betting that each of the three dice will show the same specific number (e.g. 111). Pays 150-1.
- Any Triple – Betting that each of the three dice will show the same number, but not specifying which (e.g. 111, 222, 333, 444, 555, or 666). Pays 24-1.
- Double – Betting that two of the three dice will show the same number, but not specifying which. Pays 8-1.
- Big – Betting that the sum of the three dice will be greater than 10, excluding Triples (444, 555, and 666). Pays 1-1.
- Little – Betting that the sum of the three dice will be less than 11, excluding Triples (111, 222, and 333). Pays 1-1.
Totals – Betting on the specific sum of the three dice:
Bet Odds 4 and 17 50-1 5 and 16 30-1 6 and 15 18-1 7 and 14 12-1 8 and 13 8-1 9 thru 12 6-1
- Two-Dice Combinations – Betting on any of the 15 possible two-dice combinations (e.g. 1 and 2, or 3 and 4). If both numbers appear, the player wins. Pays 5-1.
Single Number – Betting that a single number appears on one of the three dice:
Outcome Odds Appears on 0 dice Loss Appears on 1 die 1-1 Appears on 2 dice 2-1 Appears on 3 dice 3-1
Sic Bo Strategy
Rolling three dice can result in 216 different combinations, making Sic Bo a very difficult game to beat. Even money bets like Big and Small are mathematically the best plays – according to Wizard of Odds the house only has, on average, a 2.78% edge – while Triple and Double bets are the best way to win a large amount of money very quickly.
However, depending on the payout (some casinos offer up to 190-1 odds, while others will only give players 150-1), the house has a 11-30% edge over players on Triple bets.